There are so many reasons why I love brunch...
- Typically, delicious coffee and cocktails are involved.
- You are surrounded by double the food possibilities ranging from waffles to sandwiches.
- There is no rush, it usually doesn’t start until later in the morning and goes all afternoon.
- When it is all over, you have the whole day to yourself. Maybe even time for a nap.
However, It seems like today everyone knows about the dining-out version of brunch. This can lead to long lines and cramped tables, not the best way to spend an early afternoon. The next time you plan a brunch, consider hosting. There are ways to enjoy the luxuries of brunch in your own home. Start your gathering off with this show stopping tart. This beautiful Whipped Cauliflower Asparagus Tart with Roasted Radish and Radicchio can also act as a centerpiece. Using frozen puff pastry will save you time in the kitchen, so you can enjoy the company of friends and family. The whipped cauliflower adds a light savoriness while the roasted radish and radicchio mimic fresh flowers. I hope you enjoy!
Whipped Cauliflower Asparagus Tart with Roasted Radish and Radicchio
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
1 small head of cauliflower
1 lb. asparagus, pencil size
1 tbsp. fresh thyme
1 tbsp. salted butter
1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
¼ cup whipping cream
1 egg, lightly beaten and divided
1 tbsp. olive oil
3 tbsp. flour for rolling
2 watermelon radish, scrubbed and sliced
½ radicchio head, quartered leaves and pulled apart
Salt and pepper
1. Cut cauliflower into medium sized florets. Toss into a large pot and fill with water until cauliflower is covered. Boil until cooked through about 15 minutes. Drain cauliflower and set aside.
2. Trim woody ends from asparagus and toss into same pot and fill with water until covered. Bring water to boil and cook asparagus until crisp-tender about 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to an ice bath. Once cooled, pat asparagus dry with paper towel.
3. While asparagus is cooking heat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Put cooked cauliflower, thyme, gruyere, whipping cream into a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add half of the lightly beaten egg and pulse until egg is incorporated.
6. Take thawed puff pastry sheet and roll out on a floured surface to roughly 9x12 inches. Lay prepared pastry on parchment lined baking sheet and fold edges in, about ½ inch.
7. Spread cauliflower mixture around the pastry. Spread evenly and up to the folded edge.
8. In a small bowl, toss asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper. Lay asparagus across the cauliflower mixture, alternating the ends and tops.
9. Add sliced radishes and radicchio to bowl with olive oil and toss. Add radishes and radicchio to the asparagus. Brush edges of dough with remaining egg. Bake tart for 30-35 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.
10. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Serve dish immediately or refrigerate up to 2 days.
Your guests will be so impressed and so will your taste buds! Stay tuned, we will have scenes from the Bailey & James styled brunch coming soon! Let us know your thoughts and be sure to send us pictures of your beautiful tart!